Thread: D-pad or stick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Yes, Phantom too. I have set many top 5 Phantom times with the nub, so I know this to be true. I think it`s unlikely I`m the only one, but we`re not likely to ever know either.
    We can do it the same way we indicate a neG or a D-pad by altering the text of our nickname.

Timezone
    GMT -5

This is an interesting topic, because it came up during both of my toronto wipeout gatherings, i seemed to be the only one who played the game with the nub, as i just can't get around to using the d-pad efficiently. I'm so used to using the nub that I am accustomed to it's sensitivity (or lack of), and have already horked one nub through aggressive play! It's an easy fix though if you have replacements around (which i did, since i have 2 psp's one broken, one good).

It just has a more natural feel to me, using the nub (i find the position of the nub more accessible than the position of the D-pad interestingly enough), and using the inside ship cam.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Well, I got Gradius Collection in a sales bin the other day and playing it non-stop. Awesome port. Gradius III and IV are a shmuper's heaven. Let alone Gaiden. Can't believe I'm typing right now instead of playing the game. Ah well, back on topic. What I wanted to say was, that the PSP's d-pad is unusable for Fighters or Shoot 'em up, so I use the nub for Gradius, which is extremely sensitive and needs precise movements. I fired up Pure for a change and without thinking raced with the nub. I guess I got accustomed because I didn't notice it for quite a while. Will give it a try, if I can crush some of my better times without trying too much, I will accept the nub's reign. ^^

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by phl0w View Post
    well, i got gradius collection in a sales bin the other day and playing it non-stop. awesome port. gradius iii and iv are a shmuper's heaven.
    Hells yes. If you're particularly otaku, I also recommend Salamander Portable (otherwise known as "Life Force" in the Americas). Japanese-specific title though, but very much worth importing. Life Force and Gradius are virtually identical in their presentatio -- shoot enemy, power up, gain options, lasers, etc.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

OT: Well, I usually prefer tate shmups. Gradius is pretty much the only hori shooter I would play.

Unfortunately, Gradius and Ridge Racer2 keep me a little occupied at the moment (both played with the nub), so I don't get to try out my new l33t nub 5k177z in Pure

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I got asked this in another thread...so - I use the dpad on the PSP, otherwise negcons all the way.
    (I should mention all my NTSC WO3 times were made with the analog stick as I didn't have a neggie at that time.)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'm sure I will use the D-pad whenever i get my psp in the mailbox!

I use the Analog stick for Wipeout. I tried to use the D-Pad but it felt awkward and it was too slow. =/