Thread: WXX-Rebirth : a modern engine for Wipeout 3 Special Edition !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Impressive. I can just imagine how this will look, this has so much potential... Thanks a lot!

I'll go get my WO3 CD and try it right now!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks !

Things have stalled quite a bit since I've been having issues with ship hovering not being strong enough ... However I think I'm holding the right end as I'm getting pretty convincing results such as in the original game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTJvU4jofmU

Sampa Run track in fact is the most problematic as when going too fast the ship would either hit the floor or the ceiling, currently it's mostly behaving like in the original game but still needs tweaking. So hopefully I will soon be done with that and post a much more realistic update (and finally continue in implementing the rest of the game)

I was about to blow up in hype when I've arrived to this page and saw the screenshots. It was really Wip3out 3 SE! Not XL/2097, or 1, or the newer ones. Seems like nobody cares much for WO3 overall. There are a few other projects like BNG and another branch which I forgot it's name, that are trying to remake WoXL/2097 and Pure (?) but now finally I've stumbled upon a real WO3 project (and on top of all things it's the SE version no less) Dream comes true! Or not... ? When I've tried to download the Demo version linked here, I ended up with an 404 error ( I've tried searching over GitHub and even Google to no avail... The project seemed to have vanished. ( I guess I'm too late to the party ? Did this project got abandoned or got closed/nuked due to copyrights issues or something like that ? If that's so, then it's a sad day... (

Timezone
    GMT + 1

No it wasn't, I'm actively working on it, it's just that I went to a private repository in GitHub hence the 404. I will soon setup some download links that won't vanish over time... It takes an incredible amount of time to get to something 'decent', I improved many things recently but there are still a billion things I have to do.

Here are the builds so far:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqAtR29m3cqGsUsZ9Z5LYX0fRxm5

These are pretty old now and do no reflect latest changes, but please be patient for the next one

Smile

This is AWESOME! An absolute relief to find out this is really going to be a thing I hope for the best! Just tested v0.0.2. Oh man! The hype is real
    Is this planned to become something widely public available like BNG that was Greenlit some time ago in the future maybe ? So people could play REAL Wip3Out on PC ?
    And better yet, Online MP ? That would be for AG Racing like what Counter-Strike 1.6 is for First Person Shooters
    Imo, WO3 is the pinnacle of AG racing from all times as far as graphics (for the time), art style and more important, pods handling goes, closely followed by XL/2097
    This has just took the 1st place on my hype list which was until now, the nearly released AMD RX 480
    I've never had much hope in coming across an actual WO3 project, but I've never "stopped listening to the cues" on the Internet.
    Turns out these last 2 years or so were full of surprises when it comes to remakes, remasters, old games ports and projects like this one I'm allover this ) Hurray!

Oh and about:

• your feedback - Not much to give feedback on (yet) There's not enough "physics" and visual/audio cues implemented to judge on (pitch, roll, yaw, animated control elements, engine sounds, Analog Controller Input Support, AirBrakes not yet implemented, etc... )
    • your suggestions - For the future: (not sure on development steps... ) Custom Folder/s for custom Music Tracks (ex. CustomTracks01 > Track01.format, Track02.format, etc... ) Custom Folder/s for user created custom pods sets (maybe in Valve's GoldSrc .SMD format... ?)
    • your impressions - Wip3Out 3 on PC ! ! ! ! ! ! Yey! Finally! After soooo many years
    • etc etc etc ... - Can the physics be "reverse engineered"... ? like from the actual game code "translated" to "PC like" code, so it would be 100% same handling, but running in 60 or variable FPS... ? I think the handling would be the most important part... like 90% important.

Other suggestions: Probably sometimes in the future when the game would be nearly finished.
    - Advanced settings for the Analog Directional Inputs (Analog Sticks) such as Dead-Zones X/Y, anti Dead-Zones X/Y, Linearity X/Y, Center Offset X/Y (for poor off-centered Analog Sticks on some Gamepads/Controllers due to poor build or simply wear and tear over time)
    - Analog AirBrakes maybe... ? After the physics are 100% in place... ? Since we're now having Analog Triggers on the most commonly used Controllers on PC.
    - Maybe even Support for XBOne's Controller Impulse Triggers... ? It could rumble with the intensity that would reflect the "stress" on the pod's control surface elements...
    Last edited by 80T; 28th June 2016 at 01:40 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks for the feedback

Definitely public one day and open source, but it won't be on Steam obviously for copyright stuff and co.

When I am done with the base of the game definitely I will look for multiplayer mode.

Virtually it could run anywhere since it is Unity and I didn't rely on any particular library, the thing is such project will never end on any store so beside PC it would mean a high jacked hardware... Actually I did start with the first two episodes but the rewrote the code for episode 3 but it also handles the former ones so this also a thing I'd like, to have WO and WOXL.

Now for the rest, I have a much better hovering than what you've seen, looking for roll and pitch and airbrakes. Will be analog by default but will also support digital. For the sound obviously I'll make it happen but the videos too and this was a rather tough thing as I had to write a library for extracting STR streams from XA CDs ...

I deciphered pretty much everything except animations and some mysterious things, for the rest that won't happen probably, what you should know is that it is a really optimized game on the PSX therefore the code is too, i.e. I won't get much more than that as I'm not an ASM guru on the PSX. I did manage to get these missing polygons on track borders as they were deeply buried somewhere else through a 30+ hours debugging session so for the visuals and sounds e have all we need, there is too little info for the animations, i know where these are but I can't get anything out of them, maybe some quaternion but since it's mostly zeros I'm screwed ... But these are simple and I'll do them by hand.

So you have some EXE that has surely been optimized out using a piece of software because it really made no sense for it to be done this way by humans: there's practically no chance i figure much more than what I've already did.

You were saying that control is important but let me tell you that camera is, too. I'm trying to get a similar camera but it's not easy ... The next version will open new settings and maybe people will figure out better settings than I thought of.

Thing is as I keep refining, things are progressing more slowly, but surely ! We're not there yet but will one day, and I'll ask bigsnake and Xpand from BnG to see what can be improved.

I'll try to wrap up a demo of the latest soon within a few days ��

Looking forward for the next Beta And yes, Camera is also a very important factor
    I like the idea of streaming the music tracks and all sound effects from the CD itself.
    It will make for a more genuine experience overall, as close to the real thing as possible.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

I suppose this essentially makes my Wip3out 4K remake redundant...

Looks great though!

If you need any help with graphics let me know, although considering this uses base game textures you probably don't haha

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Thanks,

If you wish to achieve a personal project I think you should go for it I already knew about BnG but that hasn't stopped me from working on this project, WO3SE also did exist so there were numerous 'excuses' to not work on this but I didn't ... So if you're dreaming about something I think you should make it happen

Regarding WXX I really want to make it open in GitHub, but not unless there's an 'incentive package' for people to get hooked on ... I know I'm repeating myself but I'm getting to it these last 2 weeks I haven't had time to work on it and I guess probably a few others I won't be able to (summer) but I'm definitely committed to it. By package I mean shaping up the overall thing, menus/UI, scenery, animation, sounds etc ... all what makes a game in the end. Now when this is done I'll ask some of the experts about looking at better simulation and IA.

The main things I'm spending my time on recently is figuring out how to achieve things by code in Unity, since it's a black box and there's pretty much no documentation when using it that way, it's a matter of trial and error. But sooner or later I'll be finished with that aspect, then as I've already worked on many other aspects of the game I will get a productivity boost.

I see all that happening as 2 releases, the first one would show a 'familiar' WO3 world with full scenery implemented (i.e. racing part) that should give a smile to people, the second one would be about a game-like release (menus, etc ...).

For the graphics I'd definitely love to see creations of some people, while not exceptionally complex to achieve, the difficulty lies in the many places where there are textures and how to hook up (easily) according data structures of the game. The other difficulty would be to provide a tool to modders to visualize/highlight their work in the scene (some sort of editor). It is definitely doable and should not take ages (not a priority, though )