Thread: Fusion with Pure/Pulse's ship handling

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Default Fusion with Pure/Pulse's ship handling

Would Fusion have been a better game if it had the same handling engine as Pure/Pulse?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

No - at least with Pure's, that is. At least the handling in Fusion made it seem like the ships still had the turning point in the back, not in the middle of the ship like in Pure...if that makes any sense to anyone but myself...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I say: yes. But it has to be Pulse's handling. Because of the Magstrips that would have been used for loopings etc.
    That would have been nice

Btw: how complicated is it to apply physics to an existing game code?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

extremely complicated.
    it would also pretty much break the game as the tracks in fusion were built with the fusion handling in mind. putting in a handling model where the ships are not as well attached to the track surface would result in a lot of cases of putting ships where they were never meant to be

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    it would also pretty much break the game as the tracks in fusion were built with the fusion handling in mind.
    Which also means that if Fusion would have had Pure's or Pulse's flight mechanics, tracks would have been different. Which leads me to the conclusion that yes, Fusion had been a better game. Of course, there'd still be its focus on weapons and the lack of speed classes...

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just stumbled upon this. Yes, I know it’s not possible to change the physics of the game, but nonetheless – if you change the stats – you can achieve a different „feel“. For example: If you change the stats of Tigron, the ship slides a lot more and feels a lot more like WipEout. Sure, it still glues to the track, but it feels better anyway. So theoretically that should be possible with modifying the TXT-file as well, but with better balance for almost all ships.

… and then it may be possible to change the stats for the weapons as well. Hmmm …
    Last edited by Sausehuhn; 17th April 2011 at 08:41 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    Would Fusion have been a better game if it had the same handling engine as Pure/Pulse?
    Yes

And if they should make a fusion 2 or fusion remix.

Where the same thing with ship upgrading, damage, n challenging.

Have the ships from all three games. And then put a story with it.

Cause that's where u lose people. Without putting a good story line to the game. Like it has been from the start Liverpool!

PSN ID
    neko68k

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    Just stumbled upon this. Yes, I know it’s not possible to change the physics of the game, but nonetheless – if you change the stats – you can achieve a different „feel“. For example: If you change the stats of Tigron, the ship slides a lot more and feels a lot more like WipEout. Sure, it still glues to the track, but it feels better anyway. So theoretically that should be possible with modifying the TXT-file as well, but with better balance for almost all ships.

… and then it may be possible to change the stats for the weapons as well. Hmmm …
    I am the owner of the above mentioned blog. Here are the weapon and handling files.

SHIPS.INI http://pastebin.com/DzTixv3R
    WEAPONSTATS.INI http://pastebin.com/bcH5p9Yj

you can also fairly easily change the menu text, layout and colors, the track descriptions and some other little things with some other text files. you could probably replace the music also, the songs are 48khz stereo 16-bit wav files. They are literally almost half the size of the game as a whole.

this is probably one of the more complicated ps2 games I've seen. it seems like it uses a lot of microcode which is kind of a drag. unfortunately making anything else new for it would be extremely difficult and outside of the scope of my knowledge. the formats for meshes and textures look simple enough on the whole but I think there would be too much undocumented stuff to really make any head way. i might take a look at writing some viewer code anyway just for the heck of it. maybe not

the biggest issues I had with changing handling were regarding collision detection. it's pretty easy to go flying off the track or through walls or the floor(especially in the loop on florian height). this makes for some interesting stuff though. you can literally fly halfway across some of the tracks if you hit things the right way.

if there is enough interest in handling and weapon mods I'd be willing to write a filesystem rebuilder. as it is I did the mod by hand with an iso patch which means the files have to be the exact same size they were to begin with.

PSN ID
    neko68k

It may also be of some interest that Pulse for the PS2(and likely the PSP and HD on the PS3 as well) uses XML files to define all this stuff. Unfortunately there dont seem to be any file names in the archive. They either live somewhere I'm not looking or they are in the game executable somewhere.
    Some XML file: http://pastie.org/private/peigtdp2znhwyjnszyfj1w

On the other hand, a lot of tools and original model and texture data for Pulse is actually ON the PS2 disc in the form of PADZ2 which is actually a zip file full of stuff. This includes tools and data for PS2 PSP and PS3. Source data are largely Maya binaries and TGA images. There is even a pre-built WAD files for Pulse PS2 that contains a ton of PSP stuff. If you replace the WAD on the PS2 disc with this one it all gets squished to the top left of the screen as though it was running on PSP. It also crashes when you start a race, but that is neither here nor there

This is a treasure trove of wipeout stuff like you can't imagine. For example:
    http://neko68k.blogspot.com/2010/05/wipeout-pulse.html

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Gorgeous!

Neko68k, could you check your pm, very interested in this