Thread: How to troubleshoot and fix online problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    daktau

Default Race Times Online

I would like some feedback on this. I've been playing online and have noticed that the times given for people I'm racing against do not match what I've witnessed whilst racing.
    For example if I pass someone that I've been trailing for ages and just nick in to win it on the finish line or indeed if someone just manages to pass me to win out the 2 of us then the times for the race should be reflective of this.....but they are not. Up to 5 seconds is the difference shown in the race times where as on the track it was a split second.

Is this lag? Or a lousy underdeveloped online environment? Or is it just me??

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Massive lag. End of race times are accurate, what you see on the track very often isn't.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Default "an error occurred while contacting the server" - HELP

Getting the dreaded "an error occurred while contacting the server" error.

I can connect and play online with any other game.... but I only want to play this one, naturally

I have been successful in playing online in Wipeout, this only started in the last week.

My PS3 is using NAT type 2.

PSN ID: akira_2_5_0_1 .

Tried another PSN ID- same thing.

Tried the log out, launch app and auto-sign in fix.... nothing.

Set IP address to static.
    Per PSKC article opened these ports on my router:TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080 UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070. No dice.

Been offline, for just this game, 5 days now.

Disabled Media Server - no change.

Router is linksys WRT54G, however when I bypass the router and run an ethernet line from my modem to the PS3 with easy automatic settings I sign into PSN, but error out when I try to play Wipeout HD online, same as wired or wireless to the router.

Tried setting my PS3 IP as DMZ host on my router. No go.

Also, deleted game, reinstalled wipeout HD and unlock key (No Fury add on yet). Launched game, game automatically installed its update. Went to "online" and.... SAME THING.

Network is up per one of my friends. Oddly, If I receive an invite from a friend they show in the live game data feed at the bottom of the screen. I can see their name, and their current status/track, and also in the "community" list but if I try to connect to them I am booted back to main menu.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Try starting wipeout HD before signing into the PSN.
    For some reason if you do things back to front it loads online OK
    That usually fixes the problem.

Timezone
    GMT -6

@blackwiggle Did the above- turned off autosign in on PSN. Restarted machine and went directly to game. went to online, game prompted sign in to PSN, did so.... and got the same error.

Also, deleted all save data last night - had no effect except purging my medals.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Have you tried making a new user account and race under that name?
    I hope you had backed up your game save data, there was no reason to delete it as I doubt it has anything to do with your problem.

Are you getting an error code number?, If so what is it?
    Or just a cannot connect error message?

There was a problem that was happening to people around a year ago where they couldn't login to online using their proper user name, but they could if they made another user account, it was a real PITA for all concerned and it took SL an absolute age to sort because they couldn't replicate it.
    It got to the stage where one of the forum members was giving individual names of the effected to SL so that SL could manually reset those names on the servers, but even that didn't work for long, it finally got fixed around a month before FURY got released with a game update.

I just hope for your sake that this bug hasn't made a return.

Since the sudden influx of new HD players due to the game being free with PS+, a lot of old glitches are starting to reappear, like people coming up on online races as somebody else, which I think might somehow be related to your problem.

What next?
    Not the dreaded "Vista Pads" again, that would suck more than a thousand vacuum cleaners
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 24th July 2010 at 01:31 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Thanks very much for your response and assistance.

No error codes, just "an error occurred while contacting the server". Never thought I'd wish for an eight digit string instead... that would shed a little more light.

In hindsight, losing gamesaves was not a huge issue... hadn't gotten terribly far, just a few events. This is the first glitch I've had so I haven't been in the habit of backup yet...

I will create a brand new account and update this thread ASAP.

Blackwiggle, you nailed it, by crackie. I created a blank account and got right in! Thing that tripped me up was I thought a secondary account on my console was used seldom enough to qualify - that was wrong!

So I have *2* PSN IDs to report as in need of correction on the server -

akira_2_5_0_1 and ashuhleigh.

How can I get in touch with Studio Liverpool et al. to correct? I put this in a thread referenced on the playstation.com boards but did not see activity over there, here it is:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...t=5655&page=37

Many thanks - this was bugging me more than I care to admit
    Last edited by SaturnReturn; 24th July 2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts within an hour of each other.