Thread: PS3 cooling.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

You keep talking about research, news, etc. You have done this for purchasing your Xbox. I am telling you: what you are looking for for the PS3 is out there. Yet you have not done a single thing to look for it. Not a single thing.
    I have told you: the newer models run much cooler than the older ones. From personal, hands on experience: FrostE's 40GB was amazingly cool back at Al's place, while my and AG-Wolf's 60GB was hot. We had windows and doors closed and the air conditioning was barely functioning. It was like when I left my 60GB run for a full day on Folding@Home with doors and windows closed in a room with no ventilation, it was really hot in that room and in Al's living room. The test I talk about, with the console running at 120F, was made near launch, it was a 60GB, which runs hotter than the newer models. It ran in a sauna for 108 hours. The new models run cooler than the old, expect by logical extension that they will also be able to run 108 hours at 120F.
    The new PS3 slim is designed to run even cooler than the last few of the fat models. It generates less heat by using less power. It is a technical specification you can find posted on many gaming sites now.
    I keep telling you this, that there are no significant hardware flaws on the PS3, but each time I read you talking about the PS3, I read "Oh there's this minor annoyance, oh the old models run pretty hot; so I might not buy one new model after all." You expect me to say: "That's very intelligent thinking." I am wasting my time telling you to go out and read, because you won't do it.

TL;DR:

Old models run hot.
    New models run cool.

Just like your new XBox model.

Look it up, or don't.

Here: last bits of info on this "heat problem" which isn't even one.
    Read here about the PS3's processor die sizes. A smaller die size means the processor will use less energy to run, and will therefore produce less heat.
    Look at the evolution of the processor sizes on the charts on this page.
    Notice how they shrink? As the models get released, the processors get smaller and use less energy. We're down to 65nm/65nm for the most recent fat models. From my experience, the 65/90 model produces much less heat than my 90/90 60GB model.
    Now look here. The new PS3 slim is a 45/65. 45 nanometers. It's half the size of my processor! Correlation to energy requirements and heat production is not proportional, but you can expect it's gonna be a shitload less than a 90/90!

See, I told you it's out there. You just didn't look well enough and went on thinking there was an issue when there isn't as you might see now.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 21st August 2009 at 07:04 PM.