Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEGA SATURN vs SONY PLAYSTATION for WipEout

The original PC version is graphically inferior to the PSX console version; it wasn't your monitor's fault.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    AG-Wolf

Is there any way to get that running on say a current machine's hardware? I've got the CD kicking around somewhere but could never get it going on my machine. Does it have specific video card requirements? Boot into dos?
    Last edited by AG-wolf; 7th October 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: lol wat

PSN ID
    love9sick

The game requires pretty old drivers and DOS. I could not get it to run on my machine, doesn't matter really to me but if you really are intent on running it on your PC than I think you should look for some software that simulates windows 95 or older compatibility and DOS. Even than I am not sure if you will be successful in booting the game up.

One could acquire a computer 'tower' from the era that has a 166 MHz Pentium. I have one of those, but I don't bother because I much prefer to play it on the console.

I got the 166 as a freebie in 2005. People throw the things away; you don't have to buy them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I'd never throw my 200MHz/MMX-Voodoo 2-Soundblaster 16-DOS AND Win95 computer away! Built it up after compatibility through current Windows version became a pain in the back. Messing with emulator values etc. is nothing compared to the real thing!

But then, of course, there is neither neGcon nor record tables for PC WipEout, so I don't ever play it on that monster system.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I remember PC WipEout and its' abnormal ship colours. Kel Solaar will always be the green racer to me, no matter how orange they made his ship in the DOS version.

Another fun fact: The initials of the default top record holders at Silverstream, Single Race, Venom - the initials put together from 1st to 5th place spell "Hand Tossed Pizza." Of course they always end up spelling "RJO RJO RJO RJO RJO" at some point.

But a 166 Pentium is not a Sega Saturn, so we should go back to discussing the latter at some point. XD
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 10th November 2008 at 03:38 PM.

"Hand Tossed Pizza" - Awesomest Wipeout trivia of the year! All of my records end up saying, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, but I should try to add RGH in fifth place. I am going to have to check the other tracks for similar, one day.

Hanging in the air in the same way bricks don't

Quote Originally Posted by AG-wolf View Post
    Lunar: the Yellow/red text thing in the PAL/NTSC PSX/Saturn versions annoyed the crap out of me... I thought there was a standard where red text meant Saturn and PSX PAL, and yellow mean PSX NTSC, but when we were up at Al's place in april, there were both NTSC and PAL versions for Playstation and if I recall correctly BOTH regions could have EITHER color. It may have something to do with the greatest hits/original release thing, no idea.
    That's probably it. I have PAL WO1 in both the original and Platinum versions. The original version has red text, and the Platinum version has yellow text.

thank god it's not just me, i noticed the text colour difference a few years ago, when i got a new copy of the original game and thought something was a bit different!!!

probably end up been a collectors item!