Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-pad or stick?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I started using the stick, but recently switched to D-Pad due to familiarity.

Ive used the dpad for every wipeout game before pure so it was only natural when I got it to use the dpad. =)

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

When it comes to Wipeout on PSP it has to be the d-pad for me, the stick is too unresponsive and uncomfortable to use, its the sole reason why I won't play GTA on PSP I hate that stupid little stick

Timezone
    GMT -6

Am I the only one that uses the stick?! Why? WHY?! WHY MUST I BE SO UNPOPULAR?!

Well, I guess being a weird WipEout fan is better than not being a WipEout fan at all!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

The main reason:

The only two games that the Stick is really good at are percieved as the two weakest installments. (5 dollars if you can guess which ones they are.)

Timezone
    GMT -6

WipEout Fusion and WipEout 64?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Ding!

(though, Wipeout 64 wasn't terrible - it at least introduced single-system multiplayer. And Fusion gave us Zone mode and many examples of how not to make a Wipeout game.)

Anyway...

Timezone
    GMT -6

I expect payment in cash... Just kidding!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MAMUTHcz

well since I'm unable to use d-pad correctly (read unable to make barell roll) my only option is analog...and unlike most of you it seems more comfortable to me than d-pad

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    When it comes to Wipeout on PSP it has to be the d-pad for me, the stick is too unresponsive and uncomfortable to use, its the sole reason why I won't play GTA on PSP I hate that stupid little stick
    Me too.

For me, it's not so much the nub per se as it's placement so far down in the lower corner of the PSP... it's just not as ergonomic for my hands!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Also I have the feeling, that the stick is very unresponsive and thus e.g. on Phantom has to be tilted to its full extent anyways, rendering its existence as an analogue input method meaningless. Although I've never touched the digital controls for WO, 2097, 3, and Fusion but relied on my neGcon, I prefer the d-pad much over the nub. How one can control the game with the damn thing is beyond me.

In fact, is there a single Top 5 time in the tables that was achieved flying with the stick?

Yes, there are many.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

...on Phantom, I may add.

Yes, Phantom too. I have set many top 5 Phantom times with the nub, so I know this to be true. I think it`s unlikely I`m the only one, but we`re not likely to ever know either.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Maybe the time trial page for Pulse should have an option for pilots to indicate if they are a "pad man" or a "nubbin' man."

Then we can determine which approach works for the most people.

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

After using the nub for half a year, I now use the D-pad. I think the D-pad is better for WO Pulse. At least it is for me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I am just a Mad-Pad-Man!!

I think us nub-heads are definitely outnumbered, and in your case outgunned too. Looking at your latest Karbo Pure times - you are definitely the Mad, Bad, Pad Man from Amsterdam. Wow. Great job. That other famous d-padder from Le Havre ain`t going to like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Yes, Phantom too. I have set many top 5 Phantom times with the nub, so I know this to be true. I think it`s unlikely I`m the only one, but we`re not likely to ever know either.
    We can do it the same way we indicate a neG or a D-pad by altering the text of our nickname.

Timezone
    GMT -5

This is an interesting topic, because it came up during both of my toronto wipeout gatherings, i seemed to be the only one who played the game with the nub, as i just can't get around to using the d-pad efficiently. I'm so used to using the nub that I am accustomed to it's sensitivity (or lack of), and have already horked one nub through aggressive play! It's an easy fix though if you have replacements around (which i did, since i have 2 psp's one broken, one good).

It just has a more natural feel to me, using the nub (i find the position of the nub more accessible than the position of the D-pad interestingly enough), and using the inside ship cam.